Posted on August 11, 2021
WHAT: Opening Ceremony of the 181st Erie County Fair
WHO: Erie County Fair Representatives; Announcement of the 2021 Ultimate Fairgoer; Introduction of Scholarship Winners, National Anthem performed by the Erie County Fair Marching Band, remarks from Assemblyman Rivera and Fireworks
WHEN: Wednesday, August 11th
TIME: 11:15p – Game Inspection
11:40a – Opening Ceremony; Fireworks at Noon
Noon – Gates Open
WHERE: Historic McKinley Gate, McKinley Parkway, Hamburg Fairgrounds.
HAMBURG, NY – The 181st Erie County Fair will officially open to the general public at noon. There will be a short ceremony beginning at 11:40am at the Fair’s historic McKinley Parkway gate. The program will also include remarks by Fair Officials, introduction of the 2021 Ultimate Fairgoer, introduction of the students that have received a scholarship from the Erie County Agricultural Society and a flurry of fireworks at Noon. The national anthem will be performed by the Erie County Fair Marching Band.
Here is what you need to know for Day 1 of the Erie County Fair:
- Parking – There is no additional fee for parking, parking attendants will be on site to assist in parking
- Bring your gate admission – bring your printed gate admission ticket or show it on your mobile device
- Daily Schedule – available online, visit ECFair.org or download the new Fairgrounds Mobile App for complete schedule
- One Price Ride Day.Unlimited ride wristbands are available for just $30 on the Strates Midway.
- Food Coupons – A variety of special cost savings are available from select food vendors, coupons areavailable online, visit ECFair.org or download the new Fairgrounds Mobile App
- Midway Game Inspection.The Erie County Sheriff will be inspecting the midway games to ensure they are fair for our guests. Inspection will begin around 11:15.
- Ceremonial Keg Tapping.To celebrate the new Erie County Fair Beer and the Erie County Fair Cider, a ceremonial keg tapping will take place at 5:30pm at Grapes & Hops. The Erie County Fair Beer was brewed by Hamburg Brewing using the recipe of the Fair’s Homebrew Competition winner, Rick Felser. The Erie County Fair Cider was brewed by Blackbird Cider Works from the recipe provided by Tim Hall.
- Skylighters Fireworks presented by Channel 2 On Your Side. Opening Day will end with an actual bang when Skylighters Fireworks light the night sky. The show is scheduled to begin at 9:30pm.
- Daily Flag Retreat Ceremony. During the ceremony the American flag, which was flown during that day at the Fair, will be lowered and presented to a veteran and/or active military member of the military who will be the “Flag Retreat Honoree of the Day.” This ceremony is beginning August 11that 6:30pm in Slade Park and will happen every day of the Fair compliments of the Made in America Store.
Live in the GUSTO Grandstand
- Jay and The Americans.JAY AND THE AMERICANS’ first recording was Tonight (from the musical West Side Story); but their breakout hit song was She Cried. The group’s next chart hit was Only In America, followed by top-ten hits Come A Little Bit Closer, Cara Mia, and This Magic Moment. These songs and many others are featured in JAY AND THE AMERICANS show, along with stories of the artists and writers who influenced this 1960s super-group. JAY AND THE AMERICANS’ recording of Some Enchanted Evening holds the record for most copies sold of this legendary musical masterpiece. The group also holds the distinct honor of recording the great Neil Diamond’s first hit song, Sunday and Me. Their recording of Crying pays tribute to the legendary Roy Orbison, with whom they toured, along with many other acts including The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.
- The show is part of the GUSTO Grandstand Concert Series and will begin at 7:30pm with special appearances from personalities from WECK. This concert is included with your gate admission.
About the Erie County Fair
The Erie County Agricultural Society is a private not-for-profit membership organization. Established in 1819, the Society is the oldest civic organization in Western New York. The mission of the Erie County Agricultural Society (ECAS), sponsors of the Erie County Fair, is to preserve and enhance, by educational endeavors, the agricultural and historical legacy of New York State. The Fair strives to fulfill appropriate aspects of the agricultural, educational, entertainment and recreational needs of Western New York. The 2021 Erie County Fair will be held August 11th – 22nd (www.ECFair.org)